Reading Group Questions for:
The Four Agreements
by don Miguel Ruiz
If you wish to download these questions for personal use please use the download button above. The document will open as an adobe .pdf file. In the upper left hand corner click save and select the location on your computer where you wish to save the file.
1. In The Four Agreements, don Miguel Ruiz introduces the concept of “domestication.” What are some examples of how you were domesticated in your childhood? If you are a parent, are you aware of the ways in which you are domesticating your children?
2. Don Miguel claims that the human mind is dreaming all the time. It dreams when the brain is asleep and it also dreams when the brain is awake. Do you agree with his assertion? Why or why not?
3. Describe what don Miguel means by the “image of perfection.” Why does this cause so much suffering? What is your image of perfection? How does this image affect your happiness?
4. The First Agreement is “Be Impeccable With Your Word.” Can you explain why this agreement is so powerful? Are you aware of the power of your word? What are some of the ways you’ve experienced the power of the word in your life?
5. The Second Agreement is “Don’t Take Anything Personally.” What are some of the ways you have taken things personally? Do you believe the opinions of others are more important than your own? Do you take it personally if someone disagrees with you?
6. The Third Agreement is “Don’t Make Assumptions.” Provide some examples of why making assumptions can cause so much suffering. Do you assume worst-case scenarios?
7. The Fourth Agreement is “Always Do Your Best.” What are some examples of how practicing this agreement would transform your life? Do you tend to push yourself too hard? Do you know when you’ve done your best?
8. The Four Agreements seem like common sense. Do you find it easy or difficult to practice these agreements? Has practicing one or more of the Four Agreements changed your life?
Published by permission of Amber-Allen Publishing, Inc.
For more information, visit www.miguelruiz.com or www.amber-allen.com